Friday 7 November 2008

In the beginning...

There were two things that impelled me to begin this blog:

One was the music of Harry Crowl motivating me to sing his praises, but the second reason was that my son told me he had recently started a blog devoted to his passion - that being Japanese anime. The link to my son's blog:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Apropos of this; last week I was reading James Joyce 'Ulysses' and the passage below struck me because it seemed to echo where I sometimes felt I was with my son (and is probably just as relevant for many a father son retationship).

'The son unborn mars beauty; born, he brings pain, divides affection, increases care. He is a male: his growth is his father's decline, his youth his father's envy, his friend his father's enemy.'

My impulse in ths blog is to talk about music, but of course any opinion I express shines a torchbeam on who I am (this is so true of critics; time and again I have read reviews of books, music, drama, fine art and have come away feeling a great insight into the critic, but not into the creative artist they are criticising).

I originally named this blog 'The Bitch Goddess', because this is why in my college of music days I used to explain why I was so obsessed by music: I was seduced by her.

As well as talking about music I will be occasionally uploading recordings that may be rare or out of print. There won't be any Beethoven ("don't you like Beethoven" asked Gary Oldman in Luc Besson's 'Leon' - sic - probably a misquote) or Mahler (Maureen Lipman from 'Educating Rita', "Don't you just love Mahler") but I can promise some Stockhausen from a BBC 1985 broadcast in the near future.

I really just have to get used to laying out my wares in this blog window and hope you come back to see what is new occasionally.

No comments: